Google+ Followers

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Here we go again

Hi furry friends and pet parents,

It's Terri, Travis's meowmy.

Travis is in the hospital again with his FLUTD problem.  The crystals were SO bad this time, I had to leave him there, catheterized.

He's doing okay -- but this could get prohibitively expensive.  Being on a tight budget, I had to sign in blood to get the vet to agree to bill me and start treatments.  Bottom line today is that "ordinary" wet food isn't good enough for him, and the Felidae isn't preventing the crystals either.  I have joined a FLUTD list on yahoo groups, hoping for advice and support.  The vet was painfully blunt with me: there are no cut and dry answers with FLUTD.  Some cats can be managed and some can't.  The most extreme treatment would entail perineal urethrostomy (PU).  According to the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine website: 
"The surgery involves removing much of the penis and the narrow portion of the urethra, leaving a wider opening for the remaining portion. Side effects of surgery can include bleeding for up to ten days after surgery, narrowing at the surgical site, urinary incontinence, and a greater incidence of other kinds of bladder diseases. For these reasons, perineal urethrostomy is usually considered to be a last resort."
I would never be able to afford that, as the vet said that the surgery for that is at least $2,000.00.  If it came to that, I would have to euthanize him.  Which would kill me.

Current problem: paying off the vet bill.  I was kicking around the idea of starting a fund for the big little guy.  I know it's a lot to ask, but if any of you readers are feeling generous and want to help me with his vet bill, it would be appreciated.  Looks like I have to put all 4 of the cats on prescription diet only, so that I can keep Travis healthy.  One 16 pound bag of UR/STOX urinary diet is $45.00.  I can probably handle that, as I'm already paying $30 a month for the Felidae.  What's another $15.00?

Anyway -- I don't want anyone to feel obligated in any way.  He's my baby and he's my responsibility and I will do what I can to get him better.  If anyone wants to drop me a line privately, send me a note to terribrown65@gmail.com.

The rest of the gang sends headbonks, purrs and pawpats.  Thank you all for loving my Travis as much as I do!  He's such a sweetie...

Terri

6 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Travis. We are sorry he is so sick and hope he is one whose illness can be managed. We send lots of purrs and wags for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so sorry to hear Travis is having problems again. We are purring for him and you and hope he will be okay.

    Our mom has a friend whose cat had the PU surgery a few years ago. Your right, it is expensive and usually a last resort. Her cat is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys....I've been getting wonderful support from the FLUTD group on Yahoo. They're telling me that the PU surgery, although a last resort, can be very effective and makes managing the condition much easier. I may try to research surgeons for this before I need one -- and see if I can develop a rapport with one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! We have Travis & you in our prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terri!
    My first cat Max had to have that surgery ... he came through it just fine after the recovery period (which included the head cone, which he hated) and he didn't have any issues after that. I fed him Hill's C/D for the rest of his life, he liked it and did well with it. Travis and you are in my thoughts and prayers :)
    Jan, Momma to Sabrina, Sam and Simon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks -- I've heard some good testimonies about the PU surgery, and most cats who have this done are much better afterward. In the meantime, they are eating the UR/STOX dry and whatever wet food they'll tolerate. I tried Blue Buffalo canned duck this morning...they all ate it except for Siggie. Yesterday, I gave them all blue Buffalo Chicken and Turkey canned, and they all ate some. This is going to be a time of trial and error as far as the food goes.

    ReplyDelete


Kimiko T'Paw

mah sisfur sammi

mah sisfur sammi
meowmy sez hur infecktid wif da cyootniss. hur at da rainbow bridge nao. ah missiz hur.

brofurly luv

brofurly luv
mah big brofur siggie givez meh a bath. him hansum an oringe

siggie

siggie
dis mah big brofur siggie

little meh

little meh
dis furst day ah hoam wif ma meowmy frum da yukky cayge. ah 12 weekz old heer.

nap tymez

nap tymez
ah soe comftibble

guinevere

guinevere
dis mah sisfur guinevere. sammi waz hur littermayte

dori

dori
dis mah sisfur dori. hur reely lyttel